Sunday, January 30, 2011

Filler post

It's been almost a week without posting. Whoops. This has been a week of settling down and adjusting to my new (albeit temporary) life. Despite being in a gorgeous city, I don't think that I've had that moment in which I stop and realize, "Wow, I'm in Spain. I never thought I would be here." 

Some days have been harder than others. Although I feel well-adjusted to the city, at the end of the day I realize how much work it is to acclimate to a new country. My brain is working harder to process the new information (including a somewhat-foreign language) and by the end of the day I want to slip back into my comfort zone the way that one slips into a pair of sweatpants after a long day at work. Additionally, I am beginning to realize how little time I have in this country. At first, 3 1/2 month sounded like a long time. In reality, I know the time will pass by quickly. Moreover, I will not have 3 1/2 months worth of travel time, since the majority of my days will be spent in class. I am also the only person in my program who is leaving immediately after the program end-date, rather than taking anywhere from a week to a few months off to travel around Europe. They therefore are in less of a hurry to travel around Europe.

In contrast, this is realistically my one trip to Europe. Given my choice of major and current socioeconomic status, it's unlikely that I'll be able to return. Therefore, I sometimes feel pressured to go and see everything as soon as possible. I haven't booked any flights yet, and it's difficult to coordinate with other people, since they are more likely to wait until Spring/Summer, when the weather warms up. These past few days I have felt anxious to travel.

I had wanted to write more about the city itself, or about my recent "adventures", but at the moment I am tired and my thoughts don't seem to be forming themselves into coherent ideas. Ah well. Maybe later.

No comments:

Post a Comment