Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Spain: The Arrival

So here I am in Spain. I haven't had the time or the energy to write a blog post since my arrival. As mentioned previously, I didn't sleep at all before my flight. I had hoped that, in my exhausted state, I would sleep through the duration of my two long plane rides and arrive at the airport having defeated jet lag. No such luck. I somehow managed to sleep through takeoff after leaving LAX only to wake up an hour later. I stayed awake through the duration of my 5 hour flight. The second leg of the trip went much more smoothly. My accommodations on my Aer Lingus flight seemed much nicer than those on United. Of course, this opinion was probably influenced by the nicer TV screens and the near-empty flight which allowed me to stretch out and rest easier. Unfortunately, I still only got a few hours of sleep, but the flight passed quickly.

I arrived in Barajas, expecting to be overwhelmed by a nightmarishly complex airport and a long wait in customs. Thankfully, I only had to collect my suitcase (which arrived in one piece) and briefly hand over a passport. Fortunately, my flight was mostly composed of American students studying abroad. Although we parted ways at the airport, it made me feel less lost.

Then I took a taxi to my hotel, which was easier than I thought. I didn't speak much, and I was still intimidated by the newness of everything. However, the driver took me to my destination without problems, and gave me a candy which tasted like licorice. I was probably the first person at my hotel; I arrived before the 9:00 check-in time. However, they gave me my room. I should mention that this was a very nice hotel. I looked it up at a later time and discovered that the rooms cost between 140-150 euros per night. After checking in, I went online to let my family know that I was still alive. Then, I slept.

No comments:

Post a Comment