Friday, February 4, 2011

Toledo

February is here. I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised, given that I arrived in Spain at the tail end of January. Nevertheless, the passage of months reminds me how little time I have left in this country. February will go by quickly, given that it's the shortest month--followed by March and April (with Spring Break and the preparation for final exams). I suppose, technically, that I also have the morning of May 1. I don't think that particularly counts. I finally booked my first flight. Provided that all goes well, I leave on February 17. I previously booked a flight for the same day, only to have it subsequently cancelled because they didn't accept credit card payments. The story is, of course, more complicated. First I had to make a bank transfer to confirm my purchase. However, international bank transfers take a couple of days, so I called the ticket providers to ensure that my flight would not be cancelled during this waiting period. This was somewhat challenging, as I had to communicate entirely in Spanish over the phone. I felt that I was successful in doing so, although apparently they cancelled the flight anyway. So now I have to e-mail the company and ask for a refund (when they receive the transfer) and additionally call BoA to notify them of this miscommunication.

In the meantime, I bought a new flight to Paris through a different company. They allowed me to use my credit card and I immediately received a printable boarding pass. Now I just have to book a hostel--although I want to wait until I am absolutely sure of my travel plans. Normally, I think I would be panicking due to a lack of planning and somewhat last-minute purchases. Then again, a trip to Paris from Madrid is not so drastic as a trip from the US. For example, my flight cost about $200 (150 Euro), which is less than some flights from Oakland to Ontario. 

Aside from planning big international trips, I have been trying to enjoy the day-to-day activities in Madrid. The Universidad in Getafe, as I mentioned, are unremarkable. I took a walk around the city on Monday, only to discover that it was almost entirely comprised of apartment complexes. Thankfully I organized my schedule in such a way as to finish class in the early evening. I've therefore been trying to explore the city between the time I get back from classes and dinner time (around 8:30-9 pm). I have been taking walks around the city--mostly around Gran Via, Sol and the more "central" parts of Madrid. I used to feel far away from everything interesting. However, by walking every evening I realize that I am relatively close to a very active and fascinating part to town. I'm also trying to get into the habit of ducking into busy cafes or cervecerias when I'm on my own, in hopes of interacting more with actual madrilenos. Although I enjoy the company of my EAP group, sometimes I feel like it can be a crutch. We all tend to speak english when together, which can be isolating. Thus far, I haven't had much luck in socializing with anyone. However, it has been a good opportunity to see and do what I want at my own pace.

Additionally, we went to Toledo today. The former capital of Spain is close to Madrid--an hour away by bus. I should mention that the buses are both comfortable (charter-style) and inexpensive (around 8 euro). As an old city with eclectic stone buildings and winding narrow streets, Toledo seems more typically Spanish (I should note that it is more typically "castillian", but Americans tend to generalize Castille-La Mancha as the whole of Spain). The weather cooperated with pleasant mid-50s weather and sunny skies. It was the perfect backdrop to the medieval-seeming architecture. The day consisted of wandering the streets until we found the cathedral, a towering and ornate structure that dominated the scenery. As impressive as it looked on the outside, it paled in comparison to the decor within. Everything was decorated with rich and intricate detailing. It's amazing to conceive of the amount of human labor that went into a structure so old. I may be incorrect, but I believe that the church existed before the United States had become the United States--in fact, before Cristobal Colon (e.g. Chris Columbus) "discovered" the Americas. 

At times, it was difficult to conceive of all the sites. Toledo is an old, old city. Yes, some of the buildings are more moderns. However, I felt like I was going through an amusement park. The streets were empty, save a few other tourists, and most of the stores sold gifts and souvenirs. I have trouble believing that anyone can actually live in the city. Despite the beauty and clean air of Toledo, I definitely prefer the variety that Madrid offers. 

I should also mention that it was very interesting to see the Castille-La Mancha landscape. Yes, I have seen a bit from my trip to and from school. However, I have never really traveled outside of Madrid and I curious to see what the rest of the country looks like.

Finally, I wish I had a more thorough record of my trip and my thoughts. However, after a long day of walking and site-seeing, I am tired. So you, dear readers, get another filler post.

No comments:

Post a Comment